The module is proposed as a critical assessment about Housing as the space of construction of architecture in the XXI century in Europe and as an unresolved problem in a continuous change.
This module studies recent proposals for housing from three different perspectives: design, graphic expression and structure. Through this three items the contemporary problems and goals concerning Housing will be analyse in order to anticipate future questions about it.
The module try to build a systematic research method joining scattered variables and with specific output coming from professors in graphic expression, structural and design fields. The method must be applied to some selected cases and produce conclusions about architects approach to Housing design.
It should focus in the objective to develop the necessary creative skills for doctoral or post-master studies.
Trough design the architects propose solutions to the different problems that are implicit in a project, flexibility and space in relation to: housing programme, place conditions, budget limits, construction techniques available, ecological preservation, pleasures of life, and so on.
Analysis and name the different systems and tools that are use in a project to solve all the problems relate to a specific proposal, systems and tools that produce outstanding architecture, systems and tools that can be isolated and reuse.
GRAPHIC EXPRESSION UNIT
Drawing as an action joined to architectural project has two different roles concerning to the successive stages of the process:
- The first role of drawing in architectural conception, as a continuous search to materialize conceptually the own event.
- The other role in a second phase when drawing has to describe an object, once it is defined and one has decided to stop the changing process steps.
One particular case of this last circumstance is that of architectural competition. Free from direct connections with patrons, it can be the most symbolic way in which society chooses the built form of the future.
Analysis of changes in architecture values of a particular period of time (general content of the module) through material from competitions taken as a rhetorical set to investigate the relationships among architectural designs, the text about them and their graphic expressions (particular content of this unit)
STRUCTURAL DESIGN UNIT
The structure is a more design buildings condition, overall on residential buildings. Moreover, sometimes it does not possible separate where the structural elements begin and where the front and the distribution wall building finish. The architect should know the structural types, the structural materials conditions, their geometry, proportion and ability to design a building.
The analysis of types housing structure is proposed, its geometry, proportion and material relation, the structure modulation type, the joints solution and the innovate structural uses.
ASSESSMENT OF THE MODULE
The assessments to carry out the research aims will consist in::
- Development of a research system to analyze architecture projects through different material ( competition drawing, construction plans, photographs of site, text about the building, etc)
- Design unit: site understanding, relation with the city, program approach, ways of life, relation with other proposals, construction and material language, space form, flexibility……
- Expression unit: Design Knowledge Systems through selected variables from texts and images such as key words, scales, kind of representations, figuration tools, computer programmes.......
- Structural unit: Analysis structure architectural design: structural type, selected material, geometry, proportion and modulation type, beam length, studied joints and innovation technological analysis.
Assessment: variables table design
Application to a group of proposals along the study period
Assessment: fulfilment application work
Conclusion containing changes, justifications and future hypothesis.
Assessment: Report containing texts ( 3000 words), drawings, schemes....to support the review of the studied case.
New proposal outline
Assessment: new proposal development as idea competition in three A3 exhibition panels.
Case of study
Europan competitions, Social Housing in Madrid, and other cases proposed by the students.
Interviews with architects. Visits to buildings. Europan and competitions catalogues. Drawing material from different sources